Steadfast Bookkeeping Co. Paying Estimated Income Tax Bookkeeping Basics Bookkeeping for Creatives Business Tips Income Tracking Taxes  small business tips small business savvy business owner entrepreneur creativepreneuer creative small business creative business owners creative business business tips business advice budget tips bookkeeping for creatives bookkeeping accounting

So, we made it through tax season! How did you do? Anything you hope to improve for 2017? If you found yourself with a giant bill at the end of the year, there may be a way to fix this.  A common misstep small business owners make is not paying 1040-ES quarterly estimated income tax. A 1040-ES is the form that estimates your taxes due as an individual. Those who are self employed should be filing this form as it can help you avoid paying a lump sum every April and avoid the penalty fee that is associated with skipping quarterly payments.

According to the IRS: “Estimated tax is the method used to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes and income tax, because you do not have an employer withholding these taxes for you. Form 1040-ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals, is used to figure these taxes. Form 1040-ES contains a worksheet that is similar to Form 1040. You will need your prior year’s annual tax return in order to fill out Form 1040-ES.”

Your accountant should assist you in determining your 1040-ES payment, but they will need your previous returns to be based on accurate books. You need to have a good idea of your profits from last year and what you project the current year to look like. Another way you can see what to pay is to pull real-time Profit & Loss reports and see what your bottom-line, net profit was for the quarter and pay the percentage recommended by your CPA based on your net profit. Check out our blog post on Understanding Your Profit & Loss Statement to get a better idea of how your income is recorded.


Curious how having an accountant AND a bookkeeper can make the best of your finances? Check out our blog post on defining a bookkeeper and a CPA.